Artists I admire (part 4)

Hello and welcome to the fourth part of this artist series (read part 1 here, 2 here, 3 here). This post is dedicated to four great local DFW artists. 

Don Taylor

without this man I probably neither would have started painting nor would have found Goldmark, the artist center I rent my studio at. When I decided to try out a class at the Brookhaven Community College, shortly after I arrived in the States, and without any previous painting experience, Don, the art professor,  welcomed me with open arms. He is an incredibly light, witty and patient teacher. I have the fondest memories of our Friday class that I took for 2 years which was filled with Dallas artists, Bohemians and funny housewives like me. We teased each other, discussed our paintings, fought about politics, went to lunch. Then, the pandemic hit, Don retired and I followed him to Goldmark. But enough of me. Don has been an artist for over 50 years. Born in Kentucky, he received his MFA at Washington University St. Louis. He has currently a total of 180 paintings in his roomy studio, almost all of them color field studies. Don is obsessed with colors and the way he can arrange them to fill up canvas space. This style, which he has embraced in the past 4-5 years, is influenced by artists like Barnett Newman, Ellsworth Kelly, Hans Hoffmann; but also by his teaching experience in design, still-life, printmaking. It's art that makes you feel curious, joyful, alive. For inquiries, you can reach Don under (214)415-5388.




Evita Tenzeno

One day, I was at Don's studio and met Evita. I found out about her unique work - paper collages on rag board in an endearing style. The native Texan is a prominent female artist amid the Dallas art scene, with her work included in the permanent collection of the African American Museum of Dallas and superstars like Samuel L. Jackson and Denzel Washington among her collectors. In her artworks, she shows African American life, bliss, togetherness, couples, friendship, music. Apart from the joy, tenderness and hopefulness her works express, it's also important to note her extraordinary technique and composition, with her collages being made of hand-painted paper and found objects; her drawings are incredible as well. http://evitatezeno.com

"My everlasting Love"

"All I want is you"

"In the twilight I will lead you"


Umashree Kumaesh

I met Umashree in Don's class at Brookhaven (it's a pattern) and was captivated by her work. Both her Indian background and her female identity fuel her artistic inspiration. This year, she has been working on a series called "It wasn't me!" It explores the mass human suffering inflicted on the Indian population in 2020 - as the government declared a nationwide lockdown due to Covid, hundreds of thousands of Indians tried to leave the cities they were working in to return to their home towns and reunite with loved ones, many, without enough means, decided to walk those hundreds of miles and died during their journey. Umashree wants to honor these "unsung heroes whose strive to better their lives and to provide of their families took them so far away from home. (...) Its' a tribute to the migrant women who continued to provide for and nurture their children amidst dire circumstances." Her technique (these are oil on canvas) and ability to convey humanity and emotion baffles me. Also, as I mentioned in my last post, Umashree is a terrific yoga teacher. You can reach the her at umshree@hotmail.com.





Du Chau

Another link to Goldmark and Brookhaven is Du Chau, a man of many talents. I am still in awe of his accomplishments - immigration from Vietnam, a medical career as pathologist, a BFA and MFA. And! Adjunct professor in ceramics at Brookhaven! He works predominantly with porcelain and wire, his installations evoke daily life, repetitive activities, knowledge and contemplation, childhood memories. His works have been exhibited widely in the United States and he has received numerous awards. It's meditative to watch him assemble his work. I found it striking to read a comment of his that states that his art practice has helped him become a better scientist, to ask more questions... overall, an incredible person! https://www.duchauwebsite.com/

"red Confusions", porcelain, wire

Study (lotus seed pods), ceramic, wire

Study (lotus seed pods), ceramic, wire


Talk to you soon,

J.






0 Comments