Best of 2021

Here is a personal throwback of the best things that happened to me this year - culturally, gustatorily, fashion-wise etc., hoping it might serve as an inspiration.

June 2021 in San Juan, PR

food: Partenope Ristorante in Dallas is a place we are very passionate about, it is the only authentic Southern Italian place we have found in this area so far. Eataly's opening in Dallas was a great success and while it's less the restaurants, it's the bakery and patisserie that I am very thrilled about. Salt Bae was a very fun and delicious experience, though excessively overpriced. Maru Ramen in Richardson is the best in its category in my very humble opinion. It's situated very closely to my art studio and has become a staple. Blue Sushi Saki Grill is another staple when I am in Fort Worth though there are 2 of them in Dallas (but I haven't been). In Hamburg, the most memorable experience was the pizza and craft beer event at Trattoria Toscana. Oh and if you are ever in Puerto Rico, the restaurant 1919 was by far our best culinary experience this year.

drinks: Dr. Heidemanns-Bergweiler wines all the way. And Picpoul de Pinet from Costco. I'm still looking for a signature winter aperitif for when my family visits us in December and will keep you posted if I come up with anything exciting (here are last year's staples). UPDATE: here are three hot Aperol recipes to try! I am also looking for good non-alcoholic wines since non-alcoholic beers are such a hit in our household. If you know any brands you like, please let me know.

DFW culture: Texas Sculpture Garden in Frisco, Amon Carter Museum in Fort Worth and the Van Gogh Immersive Exhibit in Dallas were the cultural highlights of this year. Also, Goldmark Cultural Center where I paint and have met amazing local artists.

Texas Sculpture Garden

Amon Carter Museum of American Art

DFW beauty: Vita Spa is best for nails and Moonstone Spa for pedicures and chair massage, both are located in Frisco. No decent hairstylist was found yet, so I am open to recommendations! I did get more professional by mixing my own hair color so I don't think I'll switch it up in the near future. Facial laser is a treatment that I didn't know I needed until I had so much sun damage and had it all removed this spring. I was very happy with my experience at Skinnovations in Plano.

clothes: I'm continuing my search for great clothing that's prized in the mid-tier category. Magazines and blogs have been training our generation to go high end on accessories and very cheap on the rest for years now and I more and more find myself thinking that it's deeply wrong. So I'm not buying any more crazy expensive bags, I'm upgrading my basics. While last year it was Sezane (though more shoes and belts than clothes), this year, it's without a doubt Maje. A brand that suits my aesthetic, fits my body, uses good materials that withstand washing and overall makes me feel good. Vintage has also made an entrance into my wardrobe and I'm looking forward to exploring more of it in 2022.

travel: Amsterdam - the ideal city to be surrounded by beauty and have lots of fun, it's really Europe at its finest; San Juan (Puerto Rico) - a gorgeous town on a gorgeous island, great with and without kids; Oklahoma City, a cool town with a vibrant art scene. Northern Germany, always, because it's home.

March 2021 in Oklahoma City

July 2021 in Hamburg, Germany

TV: "Call my agent!"- a hilarious French show that "Emily in Paris" took lots of ideas from (and the actress that plays Sylvie). I also discovered some mind blowing documentaries this year: "Citizen K" (about Khodorkovsky and the perestroika), "Putin's Palace" by Navalny, "Turning Point", on 9/11.

novels & films: I made an effort to focus on female writers: "The Vagabond" by Colette (how emancipated and modern! written over a 100 years ago), "Visitation" by Jenny Erpenbeck (a moving summary of recent German history) and "White Teeth" by Zadie Smith (everyone has read it by now, I know, but I just did and it's hilarious). Movie-wise these have made a lasting impression: "The Father"- an Oscar well deserved, so touching!, "The US vs. Billie Holiday" - didn't know much about her, what a life!; "The Aftermath" - a movie set in Hamburg with Alexander Skarsgard?! Amazing! and "Let Them Talk" with Meryl Streep - witty, slow, smart and sad.

art discoveries: Nikki de Saint-Phalle, Tomoo Gokita, Yoshitomo NaraArt Informel, all well documented on my instagram account.

Yoshitomo Nara at Dallas Contemporary

workout: Pure Barre and Hatha Yoga with amazing friend and artist Umashree over Zoom.

2021 trends: turns out a middle part suits me and I like TikTok! Not only is it highly entertaining, it's extremely educational for art and history. If you're there, let's connect :)

What rocked your world this year? Please share!

Talk to you soon,

J.


3 Comments

  1. Dallas looks like such a fun place to visit! Adding it to my bucket list.

    Xx.Kristie
    agirlinnyc.com

    ReplyDelete